● Double major: Bachelor of Arts in Biblical Studies and Christian Education, Cum Laude, Trinity International University (formerly Trinity College, 1974)
● Rev. Dr. McCray was the first African-American student to matriculate and graduate from Trinity College in four consecutive years.
● Honorary Doctor of Divinity, Chicago Baptist Institute (1997)
● The degree was conferred for Biblical research, scholarship, and propagation of the Black and African presence in the Scriptures.
● Informally Mentored
● Informally, Rev. Dr. McCray considers it a blessing to have been educated and mentored in Black and Christian studies, ministry, and sacred character and lifestyle by several of the Lord’s eminent scholars and servants in the African American community. By the grace of God, his life, ministry, and writings reflect the heritage of these elders, and he stands on their shoulders to reach his present generation.
● Independent/Guided Study
● Over the years, the independent and guided studies of Rev. Dr. McCray have continued as evinced through sermon manuscripts, writings, publications, and formal lectures.
● In 2006/7, Rev. Dr. McCray successfully completed the Ministerial Formation Certification Agency course requirements, and the Illiana Classis examination for ordination into the Reformed Church of America via the Approved Alternate Route.
● Koinonia-izing the Church
● With love and commitment, Rev. Dr. McCray serves the people of God, especially in their local congregations. Since 2003, he has felt the call to nurture the spiritual and social “Koinonia” of the Church. “Koinonia” is the “union, communion, unity, and fellowship community” that the Holy Spirit effects in the Body of Christ. Believers who practice the biblical “one another” relations flesh-out the Koinonia in the Church. Key essential and transforming elements of Koinonia in the Church are reciprocal agape-love, gifted-service, mutual submission, and instruction of one other. One resulting fruit of practicing this doctrine is the manifestation of “peace” between members of the Church. Rev. Dr. McCray teaches Koinonia with clarity, insight, and passion.